Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Live-Action Videogame Trailers


Last Fall, right before the videogame launch of Assassin's Creed 2, Ubisoft released a live-action web series that served as the prequel to the Assassin's Creed 2 story.  Although it was mostly shot against green screen, it does have the feel of a blockbuster summer action flick.  Now, Ubisoft comes back again with another live-action trailer, this one for the upcoming Ghost Recon: Future Soldier game.  With game samples surpassing movie ticket receipts in the past few years, is it any wonder that these game titles are putting this much support behind the launches?  Will we start to see big-screen movie stars play along as well? When will other game producers get into the mix?


What I also really dig about this and the AC2 example, is that the game narrative lives beyond the gaming console experience.  Gamers and fans can now get deeper into the story.  

4 comments:

add wax said...

Jeeeeesus. I've been a bit too offline in amsterdam for a few days so I haven't seen this, but goddamn I need this!!! Awesome. When I was in college ghost recon and splinter cell could literally make me miss school (but not basketball practice...). I'm buying a console for this exclusively. Seriously.

Nguyen Duong said...

I just had my first taste of Modern Warfare 2 this weekend. got schooled by my friend's 9yro kid. i don't know what's worse? being beat by a kid or a kid is playing this type of game?

Call me Fitz. said...

Have you seen the book trailers? Check out 'Sense, Sensibility and Sea Monsters': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghLSlzhB_Pk. I love how these are borrowing the style of another form of entertainment. Really want to use this kind of tactic in my work at some point.

Nguyen Duong said...

Hi Fitz! ooh, love borrowing or stealing inspiration from different places and making it your own. thanks for sharing.