Thursday, November 20, 2008

the future of the workplace



I really need to get a proper home office going. Although i'm very fortunate to work only 5 miles from garage to the office car park, it's nice to have the option of working from home once in awhile. i find myself able to collect my shower time thinking and roll right into work mode. i've recently come from a mandatory, almost militant "butts in seats" culture, that it is presumed that you can only be working if you're in the office at a prescribed time. and then you'll have those superstars, "oh look at me in the office 30 minutes early" or "i was the last one to leave." no one cares when or how long you were chained to your desk. We care about the thinking, the contribution, the work that you do. in our line of work, thinking, inspiration, creativity, can take place anytime, anywhere. my best thinking is in the shower at 6am. and even as we set our heads onto the fluffy white pillow, we're probably checking one last look at the handheld. that's a bad habit i have, and my wife is gonna chuck that iphone out the window soon. point is, we're always on. hopefully, not too much though. enjoy life. I'm off to throw back a few with the girls. peace.

via Daily Joey


3 comments:

add wax said...

There's this saying about the four B's. People tend to come up with ideas in their Beds, Bathroom, Bus (transportation in general I guess) and Bars. Ask anyone in the creative industry where they do their best thinking and I'll be surprised if many answer "at work". So why the hell force butts to chairs??

Nguyen Duong said...

i'm liking the 4Bs. haven't heard before, however, i've experienced all 4 of 'em. thanks for the share.

Allie said...

Honestly I dream about being able to work from home one day. Being able to surf and snowboard when the conditions are not. Not sitting at a desk all day dreaming about the next time I can get out is.

Anyway.

I think work/life balance is incredibly important. Face time is horrible, for both the employees AND the company (no one can work well when they are overworked).

My company actually has the CEO come around and kick people out of the office at 7 PM. It's nice knowing I don't have to stick around until the wee hours of the morning hoping for my boss to leave or else be fired.